Sunday, March 14, 2010

Anyone up for a ride?

A few years back I was given a 1986 Trek 600 road bike. Little did I know how expensive of a hobby I was getting into. It wasn't a bad bike. Reynolds 853 frame, shimano 105 downtube shifters, a million pound wheelset. It wasn't a dream bike, by any means, but it was enough. I was hooked on the sport. Being in the middle of my studies at the University, recently married, and living in the wonderful world of Aggie Village, I knew it would be awhile until I could afford anything better. Here and there, I made some upgrades. My wonderful brother-in-law donated an old wheelset to the cause, I tried to prevent the steel from rusting out with a kermit green paint job, some small upgrades to the cockpit. It did the job. I'm not sure how many miles I put on it in the past few years, or how many miles were put on before my time with it. It never had a name--unlike another bike of mine--it was just "Josh's roadie". Some time along the way, Krissey promised me a new roadie when I finished school. 
Sometimes I wondered if it would ever be a reality, upon finishing school and moving out of state, the realization of life made me wonder if I should really splurge and get the bike. I would drag Krissey from shop to shop, test riding bikes. She would joke how she could tell me which bikes I preferred by the smile on my face coming back from the test ride. (btw, if anyone ever wonders why people like myself have a fascination with road bikes, go to YLBS and test ride one, they'll be more than happy to let you ride, even if you have no intentions of buying) Before moving, I sold the beast of steel to a friend, leaving me with only ONE bike...until yesterday. Meet my new ride:


  
 

Before I get any flack (Brady), the wheel reflectors were removed shortly following this photo session. For those who care about the gory details: It's a Kuota Kharma Race, Sram Rival gruppo, and Mavic Kysrium Elite hoops. and it's not just gorgeous, it's fast! What you've never heard of Kuota? Me neither, honestly, until James at the Kickstand sold me on it. James was great to work with, and if anyone is shopping for a bike, I'd highly recommend the group at the Kickstand, definitely one of the better shops I've dealt with. Anyway, happy graduation to me! (Thanks babe!)

4 comments:

Pam and Dave said...

yeah!!!! we know you have wanted it for a long time. And your sweet wife has been very patient with you as you made your final decision. Enjoy it and be careful:)

Shawnee said...

Wahoo! That does look pretty sweet. And we are up for a ride, but I don't think it would work being as you're a few hundred miles away. Maybe someday we will all haul our bikes somewhere and ride together again. And I'm jealous of your 68 degree weather...it snowed here yesterday!

The Stanger Fam said...

Oh man that is awesome! Cycling is a pretty fun hobby, you know Jess and my Dad are die-hard cyclists!! Hope you have tons of fun with it, now all you need is a little buggy to carry around your little one :)

Ryan said...

Nice bike! I am jealous. It just LOOKS fast. You should have some good long rides with that one.